Sunday, April 18, 2010

Jammin!

For my birthday, I received a canner with all the utensils. Recently, we went Strawberry picking and I got to put my jam making skills to good use. We picked in excess of 20 lbs of strawberries...so something had to be done with them. We froze a few quarts of whole strawberries and ate our fair share of these sweet summer gems. The rest were used in my first canning extravaganza with my new canner. We made 4 batches of jam...high sugar(2), low sugar, and no sugar. Finding canning supplies in the past has always been problematic and this experience proved to be no different. I find it odd that in a single town different stores will tell you that they do not have canning supplies because the canning season has already passed, begins in May, and begins in the fall. Thankfully, Wally world had what I needed with the exception of labels. We had a great time making out delicious concoctions...although my hubby did refer to it as a "jam sweatshop". Now, we will have a little bit of summer all year round.

The fields

The jam production line


The final product

3 comments:

  1. thanks again for my little jar of yumminess!! i made some buttermilk biscuits the next morning to try it out with and it was soooooooo good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm! Oh my goodness! I wish you lived closer!

    ReplyDelete